Sunday, June 13, 2010

Baked shells with zucchini and mushrooms

When I was little my mom would make baked ziti, or quick lasagna, as we'd always call it. It was one of my favorite meals, but when I tried making it as an adult, I realized that my taste buds have matured beyond the rather plain flavors of that dish. I quickly set out to find a more "mature" version of this dish, and here's what I came up with.

Sautee onions, mushrooms, and zucchini (all chopped or sliced really small).
Mix ricotta, parmesan, pesto, a little milk, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Add sauteed veggies when cool. Mix these with the whole wheat pasta. Pour into a baking dish with oil on it. Then cover the top with sliced fresh mozzarella. Bake until golden brown.
Serve with warm tomato sauce on top or on the side. And a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment