Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pesto & Ricotta Pizza

It seems to be more and more often that I find myself looking at the basil and tomatoes in the store, and imagining up a tasty pizza creation...!

This time I thought I'd go for something a little bit different. I used a mix of ricotta and pesto as a base-layer instead of sauce (which I never actually use).

Here's the final product:
I was most of the way through assembling the pizza, and I just had to stop and take a picture because it looked so beautiful! This was before the final layer of cheese went on.
And for the pineapple-lover in the house, half was topped with small chunks of fresh pineapple.
Here's a basic summary of the layers for this pizza:
1. whole wheat crust (I used the same one from Trader Joe's that worked so well last time)
2. a tiny little bit of olive oil brushed on (probably could have skipped this)
3. blend of ricotta cheese, pesto, and a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper (mixed in a bowl)
4. a little bit of shredded parmesan cheese
5. fresh basil, oregano, chives -- chopped finely (many thanks to my dad and his gardening skills)
6. diced garlic, ground black pepper
7. caramelized/sauteed onion
8. a variety of little heirloom tomatoes, sliced/diced
9. pineapple (on half)
10. diced fresh mozzarella, chevre goat cheese crumbles

No comments:

Post a Comment